June 28, 2010

THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE

It is a well known fact that I live in the very house that happens to be at the central connecting point of three local suburban cities known only as the "Bermuda Triangle". In this small triangular vortex (which oddly enough only includes my house) nothing is safe, not even simple cell phone service, even commercial air flights passing over head have even been known to briefly lose radio communications... okay I made up that last part, but I'm sure it's happened.

It doesn't matter if you have Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile, or a Zack Morris brick phone, it is next to impossible to complete a phone call. Any and all cellular phone calls attempted in this relatively tiny black hole are immediately dropped within the first few seconds, whether you are upstairs or downstairs it really makes no difference, there is little to no reception to be found. The "BT" does however allow just enough signal that you can see who is calling and allows the caller to leave a voice mail, even though I have no way to check the voice mail. The "BT" however, magnanimously allows me to send and receive all the text and picture messages I desire if only from one or two specific locations. So with that said, you can see that being able to communicate though text messages is my lifeblood and outside of the Internet it is the way I've been forced to communicate with friends & family 99% of the time. I can't begin to tell you how awesome text messaging is; in fact, it's so amazing that it deserves its own blog post, and it has to rank high in the conversation of greatest modern inventions of our time.
Still knowing all this, it's funny how many times friends and family members either forget, or figure I'm not at home, and decide to give me a call. What's not funny is the voicemail responses that I often get, things like, "call me.", "call me back.", "this is ___, call me.", or "dude, give me a quick call." My phone already lets me know that I missed your call, so if that's all you had to say could you not have just sent it to me as a text message? A text message in this situation would without question be easier and less time consuming for both parties and at this point is just plain common sense. It is 2010. If you don't have a text messaging plan or you don't know how to use text messaging, it is time to ask yourself why.
Anyway, this is a daily problem for not only me, but as you can imagine it's just as big of an issue for my wife as well, so when she saw this hilarious Lance Armstrong commercial she immediately brought it to my attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment